Friday, June 11, 2010

May Highlights

June 10th



Well I thought I should share about my May highlights, actually May was pretty busy with lots of fun and exciting things so I will try and make it brief, but no promises. May, has come and gone and it is well into June already with only 3 weeks of work left. Wow!! Time is flying when you’re having fun. Hehe!!!

So to start off with my first highlight which would probably have to be my friend Siphokazi’s wedding which was May 1st. My dear friend Sipho, was transformed into a beautiful bride, walked down the aisle and said I do to her dashing and charming husband. After the wedding ceremony and meal they quickly dashed off to their new home up in the Mpumalanga province. I hope someday I will see her again, she has been a great caring friend to me and I have long since missed her at work.

My next highlight would have to the following day after the wedding, where my friends Becky, Cath, Liesel and I wondered around Pietermaritzburg Botanical Garden and walked through the avenue of trees and rang the bell. It was a fun afternoon, but I didn’t find the Pietermaritzburg Rose, I had thought was there.

Next would be the parade of various little café’s I visited with staff at PG around the city of PMB. My favourite would have to be Rosehurst which Mrs. Bennett treated me to a goodbye lunch. The place was very pretty with various small shops and the café out the back in the rose garden. I am certain that my uGogo would have enjoyed a good cup of tea and a short little roam around the rose garden.

One of the Becky’s titles here is a PMB official tour guide. So we finally took a couple hours one afternoon to park the car and wonder down the old streets of downtown PMB. I haven’t had the best opportunity to take snap shots of the downtown yet since I am usually by myself and don’t want to take my camera out and become a target to get mugged. So I snapped away and she spoke of the old buildings and statues, wondering into buildings that are rich with aging architecture and history that are catching fire and burning down. Stopped and took a picture of the largest red brick building in the southern hemisphere (city hall, which also contains a large organ), and of course can’t miss taking Ghandi’s picture. It was great fun afternoon, thanks Becky!

My next highlight would certainly have to be spending a nice evening over at my friends Liesel’s place where the next day we visited the African Bird of Prey Sanctuary just outside of PMB. It is a very nice bird sanctuary where another friend of mine and I watched a bird show and afterwards roamed around the various cages of birds, vultures, owls, eagles and hawks. After getting home from the exciting morning I had a brief break to relax and then headed out over to Becky’s place for an evening braai.

My last highlight would have to be getting transformed into a Zulu woman on the streets of PMB. I was out with one of the Zulu teachers from school in search for a Zulu skirt to bring home. I finally found a vendor set up on the sidewalk with her table displayed in traditional Zulu skirts, hats, and jewellery. Before I knew it was wearing a skirt, a hat, a necklace, bracelet, and ankle bracelets and the African people were stopping and leaving a friendly comment. All I could do was just smile and enjoy the moment.



Well anyways it is getting late and I must get to bed.



Signing off and Mach Gut….

No comments:

Post a Comment